Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Team

I have mentioned a few of the folks that I am working with mostly in passing.  I've really focused on the kids because they are the reason we are here.  But let me tell you something....26 people have been thrown together to work as a team, for two weeks and I have never seen anything like it! 

team·work/ˈtēmˌwərk/

Noun:
The combined action of a group of people, esp. when effective and efficient.

That pretty much sums up the group of people that I have been fortunate enough to work with for the past two weeks. But allow me to add a few words to effective and efficient.  How about talented, caring, humble, compassionate, brilliant, steady, congenial, generous, warmhearted, social, thoughtful, accomplished, skilled and how about just plain "Cool".  For some like me this is their first ROTAPLAST trip for others this is trip number 16.  For one this is the 3rd ROTAPLAST this year.  We range in age from 26 to 72, the majority of us are from the West Coast but we've got one from Texas, one from Massachusetts, one from Florida and one from Canada.  We are doctors, nurses, lawyers, retirees, Realtors and the list goes on. I am working next to Stanford grads, UCLA and believe it or not we have two Huskies in the group (Washington Huskies that is) and you know they just aren't all that bad :).  I'm nobodies fool I know that not every mission can run this smooth, but I tell you what - God has blessed me with awesome teammates..."shout-out to Melanie the best roommate a girl could ask for!". 

These plastic surgeons are some of the best in the country (maybe the world?) yet there is no "high and mighty" attitude.  They are real caring people.  I have watched approximately 8 surgeries this week and every single one of them is willing to teach and explain what it is they are doing and why they are doing it. 
Dr. David and Dr. Ron "fight" over who will have local "Dr. Ebel" to assist
Dr. David, Head Nurse Diane, Chief surgeon Dr. Janet, look at the days schedule
Recovery room staff - Nurse Melanie, Nurse James, Pediatrician Dr. Amie and PACU Assistant Garon
Ward Coordinator gets Anderson ready for surgery
Surgeons and friends Dr. Janet and Dr. Ron
Pediatrician Dr. Collin enjoys one of our delicious Peruvian lunches
our tallest and shortest team members Nurse Melonie and Garon
Nurse James, Interpreter Siuna, Dr. Colin, Anesthesiologists Dr. Sal & Dr. Zak
Local surgeon Dr. Margaret & anesthegiolgist Dr. Brad
Surgeon Dr. Tom
Equipment sterilizer Bill with Mission Director Tom & and surgeon Dr. Tom
Speech Pathologist Dianne & Ward Coordinator Ellen
Team Photo Journalist Darlene
Medical Records manager Laile

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Dear Joelle,
I agree with you in what you described as team work... and you are just awesome... I'm blessed for having met you and being able to help just gave me a lot of energy that my soul is still rejoicing..
See you soon!!!
Leslie

Leslie said...

Dear Joelle,
I agree with you in what you described as team work... and you are just awesome... I'm blessed for having met you and being able to help just gave me a lot of energy that my soul is still rejoicing..
See you soon!!!
Leslie

Unknown said...

Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you.

Husky Dentist New Haven CT

Anonymous said...

Great post.

Here iѕ my blog post - hcg drops for weight loss