Sunday, January 08, 2012

Here We Go....

I guess it is possible to become "out of practice" when it comes to traveling. I feel very out of practice. I haven't flown in over a year and I haven't been out of the country in....? I can't remember when. The cruise that mom and I took last year doesn't count. So our instructions for travel are - one checked bag no more than 50 pounds. We will be given another "checked bag" in the form of medical supplies. We get one carry on, no more than 20 pounds and a "purse". The first thing I did was weigh my suitcases; 11, 12 and 15 pounds! So we start out practically in the negative. I of course wanted to use my beautiful red luggage which was part of my Mrs. Oregon prize package but did not want it to get ruined by luggage handlers and it happened to be my heaviest bag, so I went with the 11 pound black bag with no personality.  I still packed and repacked that bag no less than 5 times trying to get it under 50 lbs. At the most it was 52.6 lbs. I took out the extra Oregon Duck t-shirts that I really didn't need, got rid of the extra underwear, if need be I can wash clothes in the sink. Ian said that the lack of underwear was too much information. Well after packing and repacking, I finally got my suitcase down to 48lbs. But of course when I got to the airport it was EXACTLY 50lbs. Glad they weren't weighing me, I might have had to put up a fight..."what do you mean, 50lbs? My scale at home said 48, I think you need to calibrate your machinary. 50lbs. I'll be darned. Do you know what that 2lbs. means to me? Obviously not". Oh, sorry got carried away. Well at least I wasn't over 50lbs. you know what happens then, right? The slap that HEAVY tag on your bag. Oh nice go ahead just call me fat and to top it off the tag is bright orange. But I was 50lbs. No less, no more (according to their scale). Well it's 4:51, we are supposed to take off at 5:01, just my luck San Francisco like fog has moved into Eugene Oregon, I hope theyblet us take off. I had better sign off, we don't want an Alec Baldwin moment here at Mahlon Sweet. More later....

No comments: