Thursday, August 03, 2017

Day 11 - Hot Shower, Soft Bed & a Home Cooked Meal

3 August - Before we talk about today's ride, how about we talk about things that go bump in the night. As I've done most every night of our trip I am the first one to bed. So last night I left all the younger folks standing around the camp fire and I climbed into my tent to go to sleep. Long around 3:00 am, I woke with a start at the sound of some one rattling around our camp site. There were about 12 of us in one area all cyclists going in one direction or another. I felt around my tent for my light but couldn't find it. I kept hearing the clatter. I finally found my light, then thought to myself what am I going to do if I do confront someone? Guess I will worry about that when the time comes. So I threw on my flip flops unzipped my tent fly, shined the light out and WHO did I see? None other than Ricky Raccoon.  Each camp site is provided with a wooden cupboard to put your food stuff in, so critters don't get in to it.  But since we were in the hiker/biker camp site we had one shared cabinet and no one put a lock on it. So the raccoon was just enjoying the heck out of himself. He had gotten a hold of Lee's dry bag, chewed through it and ate off the bag of tortillas. I shewed him away and used bungee cord to lock the cupboard. I went back to my tent but continued to hear noises.  Then I heard something right near my tent, the next thing I knew, Ian's bike had fallen over and hit my tent. I swear it was an earthquake, but know one else felt it. By now Kelsey was awake and she picked the bike up. I continued to hear crazy noises all night long. Adam the guy from New York, said he found that the raccoon had gotten into one of his bags and eaten his banana and created a huge mess. Enough with the critters..... mountain lions, bears, ticks, raccoons, mice, I'm out!
Today was about a 50 miles ride to civilization. Civilization in this case looks like getting off of highway 1, riding on wider shoulders, fewer hills and even lots of bike paths. Civilization was cold beer and good food at the Lagunitas Brewery in Petaluma, California. Civilization was arriving at Mike's Bikes in Petaluma so Kelsey, after 5 flat tires could get new tires for her bike. Civilization was arriving in San Rafael and the home of my wonderful sister and brother in-law, for a shower, a swim in the pool. Civilization was having my wonderful husband arrive with Patsy the dog and the chariot that will take we weary riders back home. Civilization was the wonderful pasta dinner that Molly, "just threw together" (wish cooking was that easy and to me), and sitting around the dinner table nine of us being thankful and loving what we have. Tonight that is my civilization.
But it's not over. Just 20 miles to greatness. Just 20 miles to Bridge and our journey will be complete.

No comments: