Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Day 2 Wisdom and Determination will Out Live Youthful Exuberance

Today was rough, as soon as we took off we were immediately faced with a hill. My legs were just not ready for the hills. Kelsey, Lee and Ian are taking the hills with youthful ease, I just take them one pedal push at a time, they are usually way ahead of me. My sweet Ian though keeps looking out for his mama and waits at the top of the hills for me. We stopped in Charleston, Oregon for a quick break and as soon as we got back on the road, we were met with a giant hill. By now we were off of highway 101 and on the Pacific Coast bike route, which was nice, but that hill did me in, I had to get off and push my bike numerous times, that is until Ian looked at my bike chain and informed I was in the wrong gear! Ugh. It made all the difference in the world. We stopped in Bandon for lunch at the Bandon Fish Market. After a beer and fish and chips we set out for Cape Blanco. The problem with Cape Blanco was the camp sites were first come first serve, so the plan was for Lee and Ian to ride ahead and get us a camp site. But Ian got a flat tire on the way. He fixed it in about 15 minutes and Lee was bound and determined to stop at Langlois Market - Home of the world famous hot dog. So once back on the road a decision was made to turn off before Cape Blanco and try for another camp ground. We wound up tonight at Lake Floras State Park. A much nicer, quieter and friendly place than we stayed at last night, complete with showers, washer, dryer, WiFi and access to plugs. Speaking of which I have very few photos from today because my phone died. I bought a solar power charger but it seems to work on everyone's phone except for mine.
We did about 60 miles today, tomorrow will be a bit shorter and on day 4 we get to stay in a motel....yeah! I'm tired on day two, but determination will always win the day.

No comments: